Sunderlands 1862 LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership and trades under the name of Sunderlands. The members of the LLP with effect from April 2021 are: John Dillon, Richard Hyde, Matthew Nicholls and Tim Reed who can be contacted at the Registered Head Office: Offa House, St Peters Square, Hereford, HR1 2PQ.
Sunderlands is a firm of experienced estate agents with offices in both Hereford and Hay-on-Wye providing a professional service to its clients throughout Herefordshire, Powys and the surrounding areas, regularly dealing with the full spectrum of property types including city homes, country houses, smallholdings, town houses and country cottages.
Within the company are seven rural practice surveyors and two general practice chartered surveyors providing a wide range of professional services to the land owning and farming community covering all aspects of professional work including: valuations for taxation matters, bank lending, matrimonial affairs and probate, Arbitration, compensation, estate management and grant applications, etc.
Sunderlands is well known as a firm of local auctioneers, operating Talgarth Livestock Market and is the majority shareholder of Hereford Market Auctioneers. The firm also holds regular property auctions and sales of plant and machinery throughout the county.
Sunderlands' aim is to provide a confidential and professional service to its clients in a friendly, efficient and effective manner.
The Sunderlands Story
The firm originally known as F. H. Sunderland & Co was established in 1862 although prior to that date members of the Sunderland family traded in the city and county of Hereford as Auctioneers, Estate Agents and Valuers. For the latter part of the 1800’s and the early part of the 1900’s the firm continued to operate and expand taking in members of the Sunderland family who had traded as Auctioneers in the city. At the same time they also incorporated the Firm of George and his son Walter Pye. Throughout the 1900’s Sunderlands has, either on its own or in partnership, operated in the sales at Hereford Livestock Market under Licence and Lease from Herefordshire Council.
Throughout the 1920’s the main operations of the firm were carried out by Mr Cyril Duffield who became Sole Proprietor following the death of Frederick Henry Sunderland in the late 1930’s. After the Second World War the business continued to expand throughout the county with livestock markets in both Talgarth and Brecon with associated Land and Estate Agency Offices. In the early 1960’s a new partnership was formed upon the retirement of My Cyril Duffield. The new Partners being Mr Danny Clifton, Mr Michael Duffield, Mr Brian Lambert, Mr Colin Manning and Mr Gilbert Lawrence. Mr Gilbert Lawrence died soon after leaving the four partners. Also at that time there was the amalgamation of the firms of F. H. Sunderland & Co and E Hammond (Hammonds being the licensee for the sale of pigs and calves within the Hereford Livestock Market). This consolidation of the two firms in 1976 created a situation where F. H. Sunderland & Co became the principle Auctioneers in Hereford Livestock Market.
F. H. Sunderland & Co moved to their premises in Offa Street in 1963 creating branch offices in Hay on Wye, Talgarth, Brecon and Bromyard. In 1985 Mr Graham Baker was taken into the partnership having been with the firm since September 1957.
Besides expanding its general business in rural Agency the firm of F. H. Sunderland & Co continued to consolidate its livestock market operations entering into a formal agreement to create a new Company known as Hereford Market Auctioneers Ltd of which the company now known as Sunderlands has a majority shareholding of 58% with Brightwells Ltd holding the balance.
Following the successive retirement of Danny Clifton, Colin Manning and Brian Lambert the partnership continued with Michael Duffield, Graham Baker, David Probert and John Dillon. In 1994 both Peter Kirby and Richard Hyde joined the partnership and at around the same time Michael Duffield retired, soon followed by David Probert. The partnership of four then continued throughout the 1990’s into the early 2000’s when Graham Baker retired in the year 2004.
Sunderlands has since expanded with the merger with the rural agency Thompsons to become Sunderlands & Thompsons LLP in 2008, and then merging with the management company known as Springfield Management and the well known local Commercial Agency of Turner & Co. As a result of the recent mergers and acquisitions David Thompson and Andrew Lyke from Messrs. Thompsons joined the new partnership and when David became a Consultant to the firm in 2013, Matthew Nicholls joined the partnership with his rural expertise and livestock auctioneering expertise. Tim Reed joined the partnership soon after with the merger of Turner & Co and added his commercial expertise to the company.
In January 2017 the company name returned to Sunderlands 1862 LLP trading as Sunderlands, so reverting to a name that has proud heritage dating back over 150 years. It is our objective to continue to deliver in to the future the level of service that is associated with name.